Johan, Aka. The Asian Conan messaged me the very next day. He began with the information he promised about this internet startup event, which I feigned mild (very mild) interest in.
At the end of the message, he asked if I would like to get dinner sometimes and exchange more stories.
I looked at his message and about 50 things came to mind:
- Is he asking me out? OR is this another “Hanging out” situation? I never know with guys anymore.
- If it’s the former, see #2 below
- If it’s the latter, thanks pal, but I already have enough “guy friends” (Julien… Joseph Australia…)
- Let’s make the assumption that this is a date.
- Also, I gave up dating! Remember?
- Then again, if I gave up, then I have nothing to lose.
- Worst come to worst, I have a funny anecdote to add to my upcoming memoir…
- What should I call my memoir? “Princess Kathleen’s Guide to Dating in Shanghai- You can give up the cookie anytime you want you’re your own woman so screw Steve Harvey why the hell is it called a cookie anyway…” OR is that too long?
After 2 hours of more or less the same conversation, I decided to give him a chance and just see what happens.
Shanghai is not real life. Shanghai is an experimental playground. This is the best place to learn by trial and error! Once I leave, it’ll all be a distant memory anyway…
So let’s put on our Mad Scientist goggles, and leave all preconceived notions and real life expectations behind.
That way, there’s no risk of getting hurt…
Experiment #1: “Yes, I would love to have dinner with you.”